I impulsively decided very late last Tuesday to buy a bus ticket to Oktoberfest. I had been planning on going since I found out I was studying abroad in Rome, but hadn't been able to find a cheap enough way to get there until last week. I made arrangements to meet up with my good friend Mari when I got there, who graciously offered to let me stay with her and her friend Kelly in their hostel. Other than that, everything was pretty much up in the air. I wish I could say I often make such spontaneous and whimsical decisions. It's true that I'm usually down to play things by ear, but I wouldn't consider traveling alone to a foreign country quite the same as a weekend in Santa Cruz. However, I've been trying to carpe diem and all that, so on Tuesday night I clicked confirm and nervously boarded a bus headed to Munich just two days later.
I groggily awoke Friday morning in Germany - did I mention it was a twelve hour bus ride? I had lucked out with an empty seat next to me and had sprawled out like a starfish for the duration of the drive. I consequently looked like a homeless person when I woke up and since my friends had not arrived yet, I was forced to continue this persona by getting myself ready in a public bathroom at the train station. When I looked like myself again, I got a hold of Mari and we decided to meet up just outside the festival. I had no idea where I was going but I followed the crowds of lederhosen and nearly wept tears of joy when I saw her. Finally, Mari, Kelly and I excitedly entered the enormous beer carnival.
The next two days were filled with more lederhosen than I've ever seen in my life, pretzels the size of my face and, of course, an exorbitant amount of beer. I spent way too much money and had way too much fun. And although some things remain a little foggy, I returned to Rome alive and well with many a fond memory. I am so glad I went and I heartily recommend Oktoberfest to anyone who enjoys beer, Germans, bratwurst or all of the above. My only advice would be to pace yourself - the Germans' drinking abilities are supernatural and unfortunately, I did not inherit them with my last name.
Here are some photos for your amusement.
| i wasn't lying about the pretzels |
| a german meal |
| babooshkas |
![]() |
| we made it inside schtotenhammel! |
| the chaos inside |
| my lover and her bratwurst |
| dancing on tables |
| new friends |
![]() |
| we love beer |
![]() |
| <3 |



No comments:
Post a Comment