Saturday, October 27, 2012

reflection

Today was a day for deep thinking. Not so much the what's-the-meaning-of-life kind of thinking, it was more in terms of my goals and aspirations, what I want out of my life, trying to see the big picture, etc.  
I had a lazy morning at home, complete with dozing, reading, checking emails, and finally coffee. After I showered, I bundled up (it's finally starting to feel like fall!) and made my way to a couple churches that I had previously toured with my Baroque class. I wanted to take some pictures that I hadn't been able to in class, and the afternoon light was almost perfect. 

Sant'Andrea della Valle











creepy doll

creepy fake priest in a tomb

Chiesa Nuova or Santa Maria in Vallicella







Unknown






I stopped in the last one at random (it wasn't on our Baroque tour) to rest my feet and relax a little. I have never been a religious person, and I doubt I ever will be, but there is something about the peace and quiet of a church that greatly appeals to me. It was lovely to sit down by myself surrounded by dimly lit chapels and just meditate on my life in silence.
I'm not going to divulge my every thought here, but I will say that feel like I am learning more and more about myself each day that I am here. Which was a main reason behind why I took this opportunity to study abroad, second only to my love of carbs (just kidding, Mom). 
But in all seriousness, today was just what I needed. It wasn't jam packed with sight-seeing. I didn't try a new restaurant, or tour a museum. I didn't even spend one euro. 
Just some time to myself in the sweet tranquility of a beautiful church. 

No comments:

Post a Comment