Saturday, December 8, 2012

a tale of two cities: Florence

A few weeks ago, I took a train up to Florence and then Milan one weekend. It was a trip I took by myself which in theory sounds awesome but after the trouble I encountered in Florence I was very happy to visit my good friend Olivia in Milan! Solitude gets old after a while, even for the independent ones. 

It was a rough beginning. I missed my train to Florence early Friday morning by 5 minutes and whether it was actually not possible to change my ticket or the lady at the desk was lying to me, I was forced to buy another ticket to Florence. Luckily, there was a train leaving 20 minutes later. Unluckily, tickets were over 50 euros. But I had to get on it because I had already bought my return tickets, so I gritted my teeth and paid the extra money. 
After settling into my seat on the new train, I pulled out my other tickets to plan ahead how much time I would need so that this would not happen again. It was at this moment that I realized that my ticket from Florence to Milan was for 3 days ago...good. And I knew that if I could not change my ticket minutes after there was absolutely no way I could days after. You could say I was pretty bummed at this point. 
But I made it to Florence and my hostel, which was fine enough. I dropped my stuff off and decided I wasn't going to let my seriously lacking planning skills get in the way of my trip. I only had a little over a day in Florence and I wasn't going to waste it. So I grabbed my map and my purse and wandered out into the city. 
Here's a little taste of my day.




delish

the duomo in Florence
golden doors to the baptistry





it's a long way to the top..


dusky Florence from the dome

piazza della signoria



the best sandwich at 'ino
The next day I was in much better spirits despite my trouble from the previous day (and the steam train disguised as one of my roommates in the hostel), and I got up early to go to the Uffizi Gallery. It was a much more beautiful day and the lighting really helped my pictures. Here are my favorites. 





the uffizi
view from ponte vecchio
leather markets




No comments:

Post a Comment