Wednesday, September 26, 2012

PAZZO CAZZO

Sardinia. Or Sardegna. Still haven't figured that one out.

1. The beaches. Shocker, I know. They were some of the most beautiful I've ever seen with bright turquoise water that was so clear, I could see my feet in 4ft of water. I fully enjoyed goofing around out in the sun and looking out into the softly lapping azure waves, as well as the occasional rare beach hottie - mostly old men in speedos. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves though. Of the ocean, I mean.


hideous, am I right?

yuck.

cayoot

note: Claudyne in the background

sardinian beer


let me play my guitar on the beach
more gross
completely serious

grandpa katie

una buona notte
2. Marco and Alberto, two Sardinian locals we met at a bar on our second night. Our trip would not have been as enjoyable as it was had we not met them. They became our unofficial tour guides during our stay in Cagliari and took us to parts of the island we never would have seen. We were a little nervous to get in some strangers' cars but none of us got creepy vibes from them. Also, we jokingly went through every kidnapping scenario that we could think of in preparation so we all felt fine when they drove us to the beautiful Crudo beach. We had a great time exchanging different things about our cultures, languages, and ourselves (they spoke almost perfect English; you're kidding yourself if you thought I was speaking Italian). We were sad to say goodbye - them a little more than us, one of them fell hard for Katie - but we exchanged emails and promised to let them know if we ever visited Sardinia again.

Alberto (L) and Marco (R)

Marco - I don't know

Alberto skim boarding

3. SKINNY DIPPING. Yes, I did it. I can now check that box on my bucket list. It was our last evening in Sardinia and we were at a beach for a kite festival that Marco and Alberto had taken us to. Katie, Lenci and I had thought of doing it earlier in the day but we'd become distracted and forgot. As our group was leaving the beach around dusk, Lenci and I had fallen behind because I had trouble finding my shoes #blindgirlproblems. We started following but then Lenci turned to me and in a moment's decision, we ran back to the shore, stripped, and hopped in the deliciously warm water. Maybe it seems little to some of you, and maybe risque to others, but it was such a rush for me. It wasn't completely dark and the beach wasn't entirely deserted, so we had no idea if we had an audience. We'll never know. But it doesn't matter, because I'm so glad I did it. In that moment, I felt so free and it reminded me that life is too short to be worried about the consequences all the time. Sometimes, you've just got to get naked and swim on a public beach. 

No pictures of that. Perverts. 

4. Al Solito Posto. We got the recommendation from out hostel to this little pizzeria and it was awesome. I ordered la pizza quattro formaggi and second to skinny dipping, it was the best decision I made in Cagliari. Soooo cheesy and scrumptious. I ate the whole thing, not even ashamed. 

da place

CHEEESE GROMIT!

everyone look at my pizza and Lencis tatas
5. It felt like we spent weeks there when in reality is was only 4 days. The theory of island time is real, people. I forgot what day it was more than once. This was blissful in the beginning, but towards the end I think we all got a little tired of Sardinia.


And unfortunately, the lows.


1. My sickness. It more than outstayed it's welcome. I was a sniffly sneezing fit. But Katie said I was a champ, which is more than I can usually say for myself when I'm sick. Most of the time I wimp out on everything with the slightest sore throat. But there was no way I was going to stay in the hostel while my ladies got to sunbathe on the beach without me, so I stuck it out. And I'm glad I did. 

2. Creepy guy on the bus. Got a little too close and little too excited. I'll leave it at that. 

3. Cagliari wasn't the most beautiful city I've ever seen. It's not a dump by any means, but I've seen pictures of Sicily and Cinqueterre, and it's got nothing on them. But hey, you live and you learn.  

4. Beach vendors at Il Poetto beach. This was the first beach we went to and it was beautiful, but the men who bombarded us with jewelry, watches and sometimes whole racks of clothes while we were just trying to relax on the beach were comparable to incessant flies that no matter how many times you swat them away, keep coming back. One man even tried to tell me that I did in fact have money and that I did want to buy his fugly sweaters. First of all, why the hell would I want to buy a sweater in 80 degree weather on a beach? Second, they're all ugly! UGH. Alright, rant over.


I know there's almost more downsides than upsides in number, but don't get me wrong: Sardinia was beautiful and I'm so glad I went. I can't say I'll go back soon, but I'll cherish the time I spent there and only remember it fondly. 


<3

No comments:

Post a Comment