We started out at an Irish pub called Scholar's that some of my roommates recommended. I'm sure it would be a fun place later in the evening, but we arrived around 10 - trying to start early so we could go home early - and it was a more... mature crowd. None of us were feeling it, so we decided to relocate. Most of the people I was with decided to go to Campo di Fiori (see previous post), so Carmen and I decided to go to Via Gay with Patrick. Via Gay is the avenue of gay bars/clubs that I had tried to go to last weekend.
It was a short walk from Scholars and the three of us were just chatting casually as we made our way there, until we turned a corner. I'm not kidding you, I think my jaw hit the ground.
At the end of a street up ahead, I could see the GIGANTIC colosseum all lit up against the dark sky. I can't even describe to you how I was feeling in that moment; words fail me. But I think I knew in the back of my mind that I wouldn't feel like I was truly living in Rome until I saw it.
So now I can confidently say it. I'm in Rome. I am ACTUALLY living in Rome...!!!!!
Looking up at the enormity of it all, you can just feel the hundred and hundreds of years of history weighing down upon you. I mean, to think of how many people had walked the same steps I did only ages ago is simply dumbfounding. This may sound cheesy to those of you who have not had the chance to see it, but honestly, you can't say anything specifically for that reason. Seriously, you have to see it, and I
When I was capable of speech again, we strolled down Via Gay and stopped in one of the bars. It was pretty much exactly what I expected it to be: loud house music, dark dance floors with flashing colored lights, strong fruity cocktails, and very attractive gay men. We each ordered a drink and went back out onto the street to people watch. The street itself is full of people just milling around and talking, so it's great for it. It was cool to experience some traditional nightlife of Rome.
When we were finished with our drinks, we took a walk around the outside of the colosseum. It was even better to see it up close and witness the age of it with your own eyes. And I got to touch it! I could probably spend hours there. Twas lovely.
Eventually though, a potty break was needed so we headed back to the club. My night only improved. While waiting for the bathroom, the guy in front of me pulled me aside and told me how, even though he was gay, his boyfriend and I thought I was beautiful. To fully realize the significance of this moment, you have to keep in mind that I was a
All in all, it was a buona notte. I think I'm really starting to adjust to my life here. Hopefully tonight will be just as blissful! Wish me luck!
Baci <3
| OHMAGAHHHH!! |
| Me and Carmen on Via Gay |
No comments:
Post a Comment